On April 6, 2020, The Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) requested a waiver from the U. S. Department of Education for federal funds extension, carry-over, Title IV requirements, and professional development (letter requesting waiver). The waiver was tentatively approved (4/7/2020) with a formal approval from the U.S. Department of Education expected in the next few weeks.
The waiver addresses four (4) key areas for federal funds:
- Carryover limitation in section 1127(b) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) for Federal fiscal year (FY) 2019 Title I, Part A funds (i.e., the Title I, Part A funds that will become carryover funds on October 1, 2020): the requirement that limits an SEA’s ability to grant to its LEAs a waiver of the 15 percent Title I, Part A carryover limitation in section 1127(a) more than once every three years.
- Period of availability of funds in section 421(b) of the General Education Provisions Act (GEPA): to extend the period of availability of FY 2018 funds for programs in which the SEA participates under its approved consolidated State plan until September 30, 2021. The programs are:
- Title I, Part A of the ESEA (Improving Basic Programs Operated by LEAs), including the portions of the SEA’s Title I, Part A award used to carry out section 1003 school improvement, section 1003A direct student services, if applicable, and Title I, Part D, Subpart 2
- Title I, Part B of the ESEA (State Assessment Formula Grants)
- Title I, Part C of the ESEA (Education of Migratory Children)
- Title I, Part D, Subpart 1 of the ESEA (Prevention and Intervention Programs for Children and Youth Who Are Neglected, Delinquent, or At Risk)
- Title II, Part A of the ESEA (Supporting Effective Instruction)
- Title III, Part A of the ESEA (English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement, and Academic Achievement)
- Title IV, Part A of the ESEA (Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grants)
- Title IV, Part B of the ESEA (21st Century Community Learning Centers)
- Title V, Part B, Subpart 2 of the ESEA (Rural and Low-Income School Program)
- McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program
- The following requirements in Title IV, Part A of the ESEA (check those that apply). Note: These requirements are only applicable to LEAs that received $30,000 or more in Title IV, Part A funds:
- Needs assessment requirements in section 4106(d) for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Content area spending requirements in section 4106(e)(2)(C), (D), and (E): the requirements to use a minimum percentage of Title IV, Part A funds for activities under sections 4107, 4108 and 4109 for FY 2019 funds and any available FY 2018 carryover funds.
- Spending limitation in section 4109(b): the 15 percent limit on the use of funds under section 4109 to purchase technology infrastructure for FY 2019 funds and any available FY 2018 carryover funds.
- The definition of professional development in section 8101(42) of the ESEA for the 2019-2020 school year.
Learn more about the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
Please submit public comments regarding the waiver to email@example.com