Attention Federal Program Coordinators: Please forward this memo to all non-public schools within your district boundaries.
The Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) under Section 312(d) EANS will make $22,872,412 available to eligible Arkansas non-public schools.
A webinar will be held on Friday, March 12, 2021 at 10:00 am. All non-public schools are encouraged to participate by joining the zoom link at https://zoom.us/j/95278405234?pwd=aDlMNTg4eDJMMW12WVJWVEZUWWNqZz09
The webinar will be recorded and posted on the DESE Cares Act webpage at https://dese.ade.arkansas.gov/Offices/public-school-accountability/federal-programs/cares-act
Eligible Non-Public Schools: An eligible non-public school must meet the following criteria:
1. The school requesting services or assistance is a non-profit school.
2. The school requesting services or assistance existed and operated prior to March 13, 2020.
3. The school requesting services or assistance is accredited, licensed, or otherwise approved to operate in accordance with State law. A non-public school must be incorporated as per Ark. Code Ann. § 6-2-102.
4. The school requesting services or assistance did not and will not apply for and receive a loan under the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) (15 U.S.C. 636(a)(37)) that is made on or after December 27, 2020.
NOTE: If a non-public school applies for a PPP loan on or after December 27, 2020, but does not receive funds under the PPP, the school may apply for services or assistance under the EANS program, as long as the non-public school meets the requirements and deadlines of the application. If a non-public school applied for or received a PPP loan prior to December 27, 2020, it remains eligible for the EANS program. Similarly, if a non-public school applies for but does not receive services or assistance through EANS, nothing in the Education Stabilization Fund would preclude that non-public school from applying for and receiving a PPP loan on or after December 27, 2020.
5. No expenses may be reimbursed through a loan guaranteed under the PPP (15 U.S.C. 636(a)) prior to December 27, 2020.
Application: Information will be provided during the webinar.
Allocations: DESE will determine the list of eligible non-public schools and then post the allocations. Allocations for EANS funds will be posted on the DESE website at https://dese.ade.arkansas.gov/Offices/fiscal-and-administrative-services/school-funding/allocations
Timeline for Funds: Reimbursement and payment with EANS funds must be completed by September 30, 2023.
Allowable Uses of Funds: (all costs must be reasonable, necessary and allowable)
- Supplies to sanitize, disinfect, and clean school facilities
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Improving ventilation systems, including windows or portable air purification systems
- Training and professional development for staff on sanitization, the use of PPE, and minimizing the spread of infectious diseases
- Physical barriers to facilitate social distancing
- Other materials, supplies or equipment recommended by the CDC for reopening and operation of school facilities to effectively maintain health and safety
- Expanding capacity to administer coronavirus testing to effectively monitor and suppress the virus
- Educational technology
- Redeveloping instructional plans for remote or hybrid learning or to address learning loss
- Leasing sites or spaces to ensure social distancing
- Reasonable transportation costs
- Initiating and maintaining education and support services or assistance for remote or hybrid learning or to address learning loss
- Reimbursement for the expenses of any services or assistance described above that a non-public school incurred on or after March 13, 2020, except for:
- Improvements to ventilation systems (including windows), except for portable air purification systems, which may be reimbursed.
- Staff training and professional development on sanitization, the use of PPE, and minimizing the spread of COVID-19.
- Developing instructional plans, including curriculum development, for remote or hybrid learning or to address learning loss.
- Initiating and maintaining education and support services or assistance for remote or hybrid learning or to address learning loss.
- Any expenses reimbursed through a loan guaranteed under the PPP (15 U.S.C. 636(a)) prior to December 27, 2020.
Planning Sheets for Eligible Non-Public Schools are available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1t2ZiqQcYAo8IUA0nQSlxMj3uc_MDLMXNb6ApyyU1nFM/edit?usp=sharing
Technical Assistance: DESE will provide technical assistance to non-public schools through Commissioner's Memos, webinars, and upon request. General technical assistance will be posted on the CARES Act webpage available at https://dese.ade.arkansas.gov/Offices/public-school-accountability/federal-programs/cares-act
Please send specific requests for assistance to Elizabeth.Gomez@ade.arkansas.gov
or Ombudsman, Bobby Lester Bobby.Lester@ade.arkansas.gov