The Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has been awarded a $3 million grant from the Walton Family Foundation to fund high-quality tier 1 mathematics curriculum (T1MC) in schools across the state that include the following components:
- Aligned to grade-level content standards and quality indicators
- Focus and Coherence
- Rigor and Mathematical Practices
- Research-informed and evidence-based
- Teacher professional learning and implementation support (face-to-face and/or virtual training/coaching) and curriculum-embedded teacher supports
- Both digital and print learning format options for teacher and curriculum materials
The purpose of the grant is to award Local Education Agencies (LEAs) competitive subgrants to select and implement high-quality instructional materials (HQIM) that support the Arkansas Initiative for Instructional Materials (AIIM) and the AR Math QuEST goals. The DESE-approved HQIM list is linked on the Request for Applications.
Priority consideration for grant funds will be given to LEAs based on the following criteria:
- Academic need- having more than 40% of students scoring “in need of support” on state assessments or identified as needing targeted support for special education or English learners
- Poverty demographics- high percentages of families with income levels at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty line
- Strong district and building leadership- must commit to attend curriculum training, have a well-developed plan to implement and support teachers, and be willing to commit local funds in some capacity to support long term success
DESE requests applications from LEAs for Phase II Tier 1 Mathematics Curriculum (T1MC) Grants for grades 6-8, Algebra I, and Geometry. LEAs that received Phase I T1MC Grant funding are not eligible for additional funding for grades/courses supported by Phase I but may apply for Phase II funding for grades K-5 and/or for grades 6-8, Algebra I, and Geometry not previously funded.
For more information, contact
Kim Romain, Mathematics Grant Coordinator, email@example.com
Tina D. Moore, Ed.D., Mathematics Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org