The Arkansas Division of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) Weighted Credit and AP Training Approval Committee has approved a number of options to satisfy training requirements for AP and Pre-AP teachers. Teachers must complete an approved training no less than once every five years.
The following AP training options are approved for the 2021-22 School Year and can be completed anytime between June 1, 2021 and May 31, 2022. Please note that some AP options are for renewal training only.
AP Training Options Approved for Initial and Renewal:
AP Training Options Approved for Renewal Only:
- ASMSA Advanced Biology Plus for AP Biology
- Macro Learning AP European History Online Summer Workshop or Summer Workshop with Full Year Support for AP European History
- APSI for Calculus BC for renewal training for Calculus AB
- Course specific AP Reading
- AR AIMS Training - The teacher must attend the full strand of Fall AP Content Conference Workshop sessions and the AR AIMS AP Mock Reading Workshop for the AP course in which they are seeking renewal.
- Courses approved include:
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP Statistics
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Biology
- AP Environmental Science
- AP Chemistry
- AP Physics
Pre-AP Training Options Approved for Initial and Renewal:
- 30-hour College Board AP training in teacher’s content area at a Summer Institute (see links to in-state APSI’s above)
- College Board Pre-AP Readiness training in the teacher’s content area
- College Board-endorsed training in the teacher's content area
- AR AIMS Infused Laying the Foundation(LTF) Training in teacher’s content area
- GPS: ACT Aspire and the Science and Engineering Practices for Pre-AP Science
- GPS: Science Assessment for Pre-AP Science
- AR Math QuEST: Introduction to Ambitious Teaching PD for Pre-AP Math
- AR Math QuEST Year 2: Going Deeper with Ambitious Teaching for Pre-AP Math
Full participation is required in all AP and Pre-AP training options. Teachers must provide a copy of the certificate documenting their training to their district. It is suggested teachers also provide a copy of their certificate to their District Gifted and Talented Coordinator and Advanced Placement Coordinator.
If teachers are unable to attend needed training, they have the option to complete an Additional Training Plan (ATP) with the Office of Gifted & Talented and Advanced Placement (available on the webpage linked below). ATP’s should be filed after the school year begins.
Additional information about Advanced Placement and Pre-Advanced Placement can be found on the Gifted and Talented webpage by clicking the AP/IB Services button at https://dese.ade.arkansas.gov/Offices/learning-services/gifted--talented-and-advanced-placement.