ATTENTION: SUPERINTENDENT, CHILD NUTRITION DIRECTORS, VERIFICATION CONTACTS
All Arkansas public
school districts receiving federal funds from the United States Department of
Agriculture (USDA) for the administration of district child nutrition meal
programs are required to submit an annual school district FNS-742 Verification
Collection Report to the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), Division of
Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), Child Nutrition Unit (CNU). CNU
is required to submit the statewide data compiled from the districts
verification collection reports to USDA.
Guidelines for completing
the Verification process may be found in section 6 of the “Eligibility Manual
for School Meals”:
A “Step by Step Guide
to Verification “is available under the “Important Information” tab on the CNU
(Formerly Called Error Prone Sampling)
Districts must perform
Standard Sampling for one or more of the following reasons:
- 2020-2021 Non-response rate of verified applications or
- Errors were discovered in the district’s verification process
- Administrative Review findings involving the district’s verification process
- Districts chose to perform the Standard (Default) Verification Method or failed to apply for an Alternate method
Sampling (Alternate I and Alternate II)
Districts were notified by DESE
Commissioner’s Memo CNU-22-007 “Child Nutrition Application for Alternate I or
Alternate II Verification Sample Size” that
they had to apply and be approved by CNU to perform an “Alternate” verification
sampling method. The application deadline to apply was September 17, 2021. Districts
were notified by email of approval to use an alternate sample size and appear
on the Alternate I or Alternate II Verification Sampling lists.
district is required to use the Standard Sampling method if the district did
not apply by the deadline and did not receive written approval for the
Alternate Sampling methods.
districts listed on the attached “Required Standard List” will not be approved
to perform an Alternate verification sampling method.
The attached Excel spreadsheet has
- “Required Standard”
- “Standard by Default”
- “Alternate I”
- “Alternate II”
DistrIcts are to open the tabs in the Excel spreadsheet and locate
the district’s LEA and district name to determine which Verification Sampling Method
to complete for school year 2021-2022.
All districts must complete and submit the FNS-742 Verification
Provision 2 districts operating a non-base year and Community
Eligibility districts will not appear on the “Verification Sampling Methods”
spreadsheets. The districts do not collect free and reduced meal applications
and are not required to perform verification.
The deadline for
submitting the district’s FNS-742 Verification Collection Report to DESE CNU is
Wednesday, December 15, 2021. Please see 2021 Verification
Timeline attached to this memo.
How to Complete
Follow the step-by-step guide to the
verification process, go to the Child Nutrition webpage at https://dese.ade.arkansas.gov/Offices/child-nutrition-unit/important-information/steps-to-verification, click the “Important Information” tab, and scroll to #1.
Each district must report to DESE, CNU the
summary of verification results by using the attached excel FNS-742
Verification Collection Report. The form should be downloaded from the
Child Nutrition webpage and renamed using the district’s local education agency
Each district must submit one report for the
entire district. In order to complete the FNS-742 Verification Collection
Report, a school district will need the following:
- Total number of applications and students approved for free meals based on a SNAP case number
- Total number of applications and students approved for free meals based on household size and income
- Total number of applications and students approved for reduced-priced meals
- Total number of students directly certified
- Total number of students who appear on a categorical free list (Homeless, Migrant, Direct Certification, Foster)
- Results of verification by application – Verification Tracker Form
Verification Collection Report contains three pages (tabs) in the Excel
- Instructions for completing the FNS-742 Verification Collection Report
- FNS-742 Verification Collection Report
- Application Data Sheet with Instructions
REMINDERS AND BEST
- Refer the Child Nutrition webpage, “Important Information” tab for step-by-step instructions on completion of the verification process.
- Refer to section 6 in the 2017 Eligibility Manual for School Meals
- Check and Re-Check number of applications to verify. Remember to always round up.
- Do not pull extra applications “just in case” for verification
- Complete verification tracker for all applications verified, including verification for cause
- Print completed FNS-742 Verification Collection Report
- Save completed FNS-742 Verification Collection Report to desktop
- Submit FNS-742 in Excel format – not as a PDF
Email completed FNS-742 Verification Collection Report to firstname.lastname@example.org . The district will receive a bounce back email that the report
has been received. STOP! PRINT this email for audit purposes.
This is your receipt that the report has been submitted on time. When the district receives the automatic
reply, no additional action is required on behalf of the district. The
district will be notified by phone or email if there is a problem or if
additional information is needed to complete the FNS-742 Verification
Collection Report. There will NOT be additional automatic replies for
subsequent emails due to revisions.
The body of the email
- District Name
- District LEA Number
- Name of verification contact person
- Phone number of verification contact person
- Completed DESE Verification Collection Report (Excel Format)
November 15, 2021 – Deadline for completion of all verification
December 15, 2021 – Deadline to report verification activities
to DESE, CNU
Email to: email@example.com
For assistance with
completing the FNS-742 Verification Collection Report or any verification
activity, call the school district’s assigned child nutrition area specialist
or Donna Ratliff at (501) 324-9502.