School districts are consistently being targeted for cyber attacks across the state. Cyber attacks present a persistent threat to student data, staff data, instructional time, payroll, and other district assets. It is common for cybercriminals to target high-ranking district officials and the school district’s business office. It is important districts remain vigilant in responding to and preparing for cyber threats.
School districts can protect their employees by:
- Provide security awareness to business offices, educators, and staff.
- Ensure employees are using unique passwords for critical accounts used to access sensitive information.
- Utilize multi-factor authentication on sensitive systems and information.
- Create and/or update protocols that require additional scrutiny to banking changes that appear to be requested by administration or staff.
- Have a communication and response plan in place for when a cyber event does occur.
Security awareness training can be accessed by:
Additional information for cyber incident response and security awareness can be found by visiting our webpage.